Thursday, June 25, 2009

MJ - Definition of Pop Culture?

Without MJ's Thriller, we would have no MTV, no Music videos, no YouTube, no iPods, no iPhones, no iTunes ... he was the first brick in the foundation of what we now know as Pop Culture - a bona fide degree in most colleges and the springboard of many other avenues of genius.

Would we have ActiveRain if there were never a Michael Jackson? Would we have MySpace or Facebook? Trulia?

When my son-in-law first told me his degree was going to be "Pop Culture" I thought "Hmm". I just didn't get it.

But then he explained that Pop Culture was just the avenue he planned to use to make segueways into his true chosen profession - Mission Work.

Which leads me back to MJ and his iconic status.

For all of his perceived faults, the bottom line is that whatever way any person can come up with to communicate with his fellow man, than so be it.

I will say again, our society today would be different if there never were an MTV ... never were a YouTube ... never were iTunes ... never were a Michael Jackson.

I pray he is right now dancing with joy (as only he can do) when he sees God's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment